Thursday, June 21, 2007

Road trip; Cairns to Darwin

Hyvää Jussia kaikille!!!
Survived outback, didn’t get killed by suspicious aboriginals or kangaroos and made our way to Darwin. (Picture: me, Maria & Petsku) As we left 3pm from Cairns we decided already that it was better for us to stay on the coast instead heading to the outback, therefore we drove again to north; to Cape Tribulation, which is famous rainforest national park. On our way we passed by Port Douglas, where we had holiday with Julia, Chris and Marko in October… Brought some good memories :) We also stopped in Port Sea (resort we stayed), where Chris’ brother in the GM and I went to say hi to him. He was quite surprised to see me. (Picture: long way home from Port Douglas)

We stayed that night in Cape Tribulation, a place called JP’s. I was shocked to hear that they don’t have TVs in any place there (to save the electricity). The next day it was my turn to start driving and I have to brag that Im getting quite pro on left side driving :)
We checked out some nice beaches and lookouts on our way, as we knew that for few days we only would see outback. We drove that day 16hours and the last 6 ours we were struggling with 287km long never ending gravel road. It was a real suicidal way as the dark came and all the animals; kangaroos, rabbits, cows jumping around. Luckily this time we were only very close to hit one. (Picture: David & Maria)

That night we also had to sleep outside, as we almost ran out of gas and therefore had to stay in some caravan site we found in the middlew of nowhere. It was soooooooooo cold that night, so I had to wear all my clothes on and squeeze into my sleeping back shivering on the ice cold ground in Maria’s and David’s tent. I lasted till 5 in the morning before I had to get into the car where Maria and Petteri were sleeping. Well it was an experience, I kept on telling myself. (Picture: Lunch Break)

The next day we continued driving and getting deeper into the outback. Dry yellow fields, gray partly burned trees and the road as long as the eye can see. There was plenty of time to read some books. I read 2;'the Alchemist' and 'First they killed my Father' (about Cambodians time under Kmer Rouge). Both of the books were very impressive and I recommend them if you need some summer reading.
(Picture: Hot Springs in Northern Territory; Maria, David & Petsku)

Finally we arrived to Darwin after 5 days spending in the car. It felt good to be in a proper sized city and next to the internet. The weather in Darwin was just perfect, +30 and sunny every day. Unfortunately you aren’t allowed to swim in the ocean because of the jelly fishes and crocodiles, but at least we had a spa in our hostel. One day we were about to see the place where “God would live, if lived on the earth” (like someone once told me); Kakadu, national park, but as we didn’t have a four wheel drive it was waste of time. One day we also visited a crocodile farm close by and saw the only captured albino crock in the world. There are only 3 known albino crocks to be living. Pretty unique ;) (Picture: Poor crock and Hunter)

19th of June 2007 it was time to say bye bye to Australia and start our adventure number 2; Asia. Leaving felt surreal and still can’t really comprehend it. Guess it hits me when Im back in Finland.










Above: Crocodile Farm in Darwin
Below: The familiar sight for 5 days























Above: Cape Tribulation rain forest
Below: Landscapes while driving (Queensland)























Above: Landscapes while driving (Queensland)
Below: Cursed gravel road (286km=6hours)























Above: Landscapes while driving (Northern Territory)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes undoubtedly, in some moments I can phrase that I approve of with you, but you may be considering other options.
to the article there is still a question as you did in the decrease publication of this solicitation www.google.com/ie?as_q=imtoo dvd to avi suite 3.0.32.1123 ?
I noticed the catch-phrase you have in the offing not used. Or you partake of the pitch-dark methods of helping of the resource. I possess a week and do necheg