Thursday, October 12, 2006

Randwick Race

Horse racing is the second biggest and popular sport in Australia, so it was only natural raise our awareness and find out more about the sport. Randwick race is the biggest jockey event after Melbourne cup, which is held in November and ideally located only 20 minutes from the city centre. I was being given before hand information that be prepared to have a big day out, dress up nicely and wear a hat or feathers…

Saturday morning I felt a bit awkward as I walked all dressed up with my highest high heels to the buss stop. I met up with Julia at 11am and we took the buss to Milson’s Point where we were supposed to meet Piers (one Aussie guy) and take a taxi together from there to the races. It was relieving to notice that quite many people were wearing their best and looking all fancy when on their way to the races.

Piers has the nicest apartment I’ve been so far and the best views to Sydney opera house and the Harbour Bridge. Great spot to take some pictures ;)

We had some problems to get a taxi and finally after walking way too far, too long, taking the train to the city and eventually getting a taxi, we arrived to Randwick 2 hours later. Yep, we weren’t the only people going there. I couldn’t stop staring all the people I saw around me, I was speechless. Seeing thousands of people all dressed up, guys looking hot in their suits and girls prettier from another. Champagne, hats, feathers, curls… and f*ck that girl is wearing the same dress as I am, and another one…shit, more champagne!

We met up with two other girls, friends of Piers, but most of the time me and Julia were wandering around, betting some of our own money and a bit more other guys money (didn’t win anything tho). The day was fun but tiring and after spending 13 hours walking around with 7cm heels I collapsed to my bed and slept like a baby… zzzzz

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Aino,

This morning I finally had the time to read all your stories since the beginning of September. You really have a great time in Aussie. So good to read that you have seen so many fantastic things. Great that you meet so many people from all over the world. I don't dare to dive, but you did. Fantastic pictures.

Well, Willie and I have had a fantastic holiday in Indonesia. We have seen Sumatra, Java and Bali. Great nature en especially great culture. We have worked very hard, because we had to awake at 5 am every day!!!!! Holiday?!!!!! The sun is shining from 6 till 6, so it is dark very early. Our holiday started at Bali!!! Lovely, a real paradise.
And now the working life has been started again.

Wendy has a great time in London as well. I really miss her. It is very quiet in the house, but over 6 weeks Will and I are going to visit her. You understand I am looking forward to see her, her work and appartment. Are your parents and Pina coming to Sydney during Christmastime? I hope so.
Thanks for your postcard. Did you receive our cards from Indonesia?

Dear Aino, again enjoy your time there in down under. You will never forget that you have been there. Say hello to all your friends, be carefull. Big hugs,dikke kus from Ankie en Willie.