Thursday, June 22, 2006

First Day in Sydney!

Here I am, finally after 21 hours of flying. The trip was tiring, but it was definitely worth it. Sunday morning was quite hard for me because I had to say goodbye to some very special people who Im going to miss so much in these 14 months. Even though Im usually good in keeping my emotions inside, this time it all came out. I want to thank my Dutch family for taking me to the airport; it meant a world to me!

My first stop was in Hong Kong, after 11 hours. The airport is massive and ideal for shopping. Even though I was tired as hell, I still had some energy to run into e
very Gucci, Channel, D&G and Dior store….heheh! The city, Hong Kong looked great from the plane, with all the skyscrapers and beaches. I definitely want to go there for once. From HK there was still a 9 hour fly to my new home town, Sydney. But luckily the trip went fast and I probably slept 7 hours of the flight. The city looked amazing from the plane, especially because the sun had gone down already so it was dark. It looked like millions of diamonds shining. That was the first time when I saw the Sydney opera house live =)

From the airport I got picked up by the owner of the hostel Im staying. He was really nice and helpful and answered all the weird questions I had. The hostel was also really nice and much cosier than I expected. The even gave me a room with own bathroom and toilet without charging anything extra!

I was so excited that I barely could get any sleep. I was just waiting the sun come up so I could hit the city. Eight in the morning I took my first real steps towards the city and I can’t say anything else than WAAAAUUUUU… What a place!!! I can still hardly believe this to be true. Finally in Sydney, After all the misfortune I had with visas and passports!

I went for a tour just by walk, because the hostel is just 10 minutes walk from the centre. The first impression I got was really good. The sun was shining behind the big palm trees as I crossed the Prince Alfred Park. People were smiling to me and wishing Good Morning. I was walking towards the
Central Station a latte on my hand and I thought in my mind… I feel like home already. I walked next to the big skyscrapers heading to the harbour and I saw so many great shopping places, sushi bars, all kinds of restaurants that serve healthy food with low fat dishes. I noticed that I have to get used to the left sided traffic and the strange sound of the traffic lights (which sounds like a space racket taking off when people can cross the street). The city itself is incredibly beautiful, also because most of it takes place by the sea. I took some sushi for a lunch on my way to Darling Harbour, which is by so far my favourite place. I enjoyed my lunch by the water and it was hard to believe that it was mid winter while I had to take my sweater off.

The rest of the day I walked and walked. I met my Finnish friend Minka, who has been living in Sydney already from March with her boyfriend. Im really glad that I have somebody to talk with and show the city, it makes the acclimatization to the environment so much easier. Tomorrow is my first day at work, exciting! My new Aussie number is: +61410137432. Feel free to call =)

No comments: